Hazard Identification & Risk Assessment
NQF Level 4
This unit standard is for Learners who have to demonstrate the ability to conduct a base-line risk assessment in a workplace. Learners credited with this unit standard will be capable of:
- Explaining the specified requirements to conduct a base-line risk assessment.
- Preparing for a base-line risk assessment.
- Conducting a base-line risk assessment.
- Initiating remedial actions for hazards identified and risks assessed.
SPECIFIC OUTCOME 1
Explain the specified requirements needed to conduct a base-line risk assessment.
1. The process of identifying hazards and assessing the associated risks, as well as the information required to conduct the baseline risk assessment is explained.
2. The definitions and applications of the base-line risk assessment process are explained and applied to the identified hazards and associated risks.
3. The sequence of applying control measures when dealing with hazards is explained.
4. The importance of identifying, dealing with and reporting hazards is explained.
5. The application of the different types of risk assessments is explained.
SPECIFIC OUTCOME 2
Prepare to conduct a baseline risk assessment.
1. The relevant documents are collated based on previously identified hazards, risks and associated risks, incidents and control measures.
2. Team members are selected and trained in a manner that fosters teamwork and avoids conflict.
3. The importance of ensuring that personal protective equipment is available, operational, fit for purpose and used in accordance with its design and specified requirements is explained in terms of the consequences to health and safety.
4. The required arrangements in terms of venues, sites and attendance are explained according to the selected methodology.
SPECIFIC OUTCOME 3
Conduct a baseline risk assessment.
1. Hazards and associated risks are identified and assessed in comparison with available standards.
2. A risk profile is drafted, identified deviations are recorded and a report is prepared.
SPECIFIC OUTCOME 4
Initiate remedial action for hazards identified and risks assessed.
1. Control measures are identified, deviations recorded and actions taken, compliant with the specified operational procedures.
2. Final reports are completed, submitted to designated personnel on time and dates are proposed for subsequent control assessments.